Plastering onto painted wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've gota messy, rough surfaced wall that I want to replaster to smooth. Do I need to remove the paint or can I just sand it caorsely to rough it enough for the finishing plaster to stick to?

Sponsored Links
Remove loose paint , 'sparrowpick' the wall with a tacking hammer or use the claw of a hammer (make slight indentations all over the wall, say 2-3 inches apart) to give a mechanical key.

Seal up with PVA or bondit 24 hrs before skimming.

Apply PVA and skim while tacky after 24 hrs (or straight onto bondit after 24hrs)

• Thanks
Reactions: Tid
For vinyl emulsion, I criss-cross scratch all over the surface with an old scraper & then go over it with a very stiff wire brush. Seal the wall with a strong PVA mix the day before, PVA again before plastering & skim when tacky.

If it’s gloss paint, use this trick;
Give your gloss painted walls a good rub over with a "really rough sandpaper". Spend a bit of time on it,, you need to roughen/dull down the shiny surface. When you have prepared the surface,, get a good quality PVA, (i use builder centre's own brand), and a 25kg bag of British Gypsum bonding coat plaster. Make up some bonding coat,, not too thick, and not too much at a time, say a litre of water and add bonding plaster to it. When you're ready, brush the plaster on, mixed with neat pva on the brush, then let it dry,, 24hrs, then you can plaster over it without any problems. The walls in the pics were painted with vinyl silk, but i have plastered onto oil based gloss and eggshell many times, using the same method described in the post.

Roughcaster.

You can also use soft sand or cement to make the the PVA slurry.

Sponsored Links
Hey thanks guys for your help. I've only just joined this forum and am blown away by how detailed and helpful answers you've given. Thank you ever so much and it's answered my question perfectly :)

Right - off to work shortly I think on getting these walls prepared!

Thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back