Skim plastering a painted ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a slightly rough lath and plaster kitchen ceiling which someone has advised me to skim. What's the procedure? Does the surface have to be keyed? Does the paint have to be removed first or will finishing plaster stick to it?

Sponsored Links
Hi Shadrack
Check to see if the existing ceiling is sound, and could hold an extra coat of plaster. If not, your options would be to pull it down (v. messy), or overboard with 12.5mm plasterboard and then skim multifinish.
If the existing ceiling is sound, you can overskim with multifinish, but it will need glueing (apply PVA:water 1:2) and before the glue dries, hit it with your first coat. The PVA will glue will ensure the first skim coat is firmly bonded to the ceiling.

... or get a pro in! Probably cost £150 ish?
Hope that helps ....

Many thanks RKB. The ceiling has the odd crack in it but seems pretty sound - I think it could hold a thin extra layer of plaster. I've done a little bit of amateur plastering myself but never a ceiling. Perhaps I will get someone in for this..!

If an old lathe and plaster ceiling can't take an extra coat of plaster, it is probably unlikely to be able to take 12.5mm boards on the creaky old joists.

When I had a plasterer in to skim a ceiling, he stood on a platform to bring him up to a decent working height rather than trying to do it from floor level.

Artexing a ceiling is dead easy, even I can make that look good!

Sponsored Links
AdamW said:
If an old lathe and plaster ceiling can't take an extra coat of plaster, it is probably unlikely to be able to take 12.5mm boards on the creaky old joists.

[Takes issue gently]

Surely a lath & plaster ceiling fails because the tongues of plaster sticking up between the laths break at the neck? The integrity of the joists is a separate issue. Just because the plaster is loose doesn't necessarily mean the joists won't hold the nails (or screws) so support over-boarding with plasterboard, does it?

[/Takes issue gently]

Can you take up a couple of floorboards above and see if the plaster tongues have become broken off?

I suppose.

There is still an issue because the ceiling joists may only be sized for the weight of the original ceiling, therefore adding the weight of hefty boards to it may cause problems.

Without a better description of the ceiling it is hard to decide! Obviously if the lathes have failed then skimming won't do much for it, but if it is just something cosmetic (someone went to town with artex on it, whilst wearing a blindfold) then skimming is preferable.

Surely if it is just some of the plaster has fallen off in a few places and the lathes are fine, can't that be skimmed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back