Skim over artex on lath & plaster ceiling? Or tack over

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I cant decide either to skim over ceilings to hide artex, or plasterboard first. The ceilings are lath & plaster and appear to be in good condition in a 1930's house.
Skimming over would only add more weight to a ceiling that is prone to coming down in the future surely? So wouldn't it be better to plasterboard all ceilings first, securing the old lath & plaster for the future and providing a better surface for plastering? I don't know, cant decide, what would you do?
Thanks.
ps. i don't need to know how, just which and why, or maybe another suggestion bar removing old ceiling completely.

Sponsored Links
I'm with Joe,,,, if the artexed lath and plaster ceiling is in good sound condition, then there is no reason to plasterboard over it. Just skim over the artex, or scrape it off. A 70/80 year old lath and plaster ceiling in good condition, is probably stronger by far, than some of the new plasterboard ceilings that are put up nowadays.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back