The age old question: getting rid of Artexed ceilings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had conflicting advice from plasterers who have come to view some plastering that I need done for bedroom ceilings. They are all Artexed but it's not deep Artex. However, the ceilings are old and dirty.

One plasterer suggested fixing new plasterboard over the old ceiling and skimming the new plasterboard.

The second plasterer suggested cleaning, PVA'ing and then skimming over the Artex.

Which solution is more 'correct'?

Sponsored Links
thay both are standed mate over skim or over board
it go's on the price i gess you want too pay
is the ceiling solid not flaking off
id reskim it clean off the crap scrape off loose bits
pva and skim it
over boarding it id think of the waight up there now and after
just reskim it were are you based
i base my jobs on reskim reboard moving furnature if the job is on the 10th floor
is it artex or distemper
how big is it

not all reskims on artex are successful if the artex is not sound and not stuck proper the skim will debond it, also if there are cracks in the artex this will most prob show up on the skim sooner or later weather its scrimmed or not, i have in the past scraped artex off the ceiling so i can see where abouts the cracks are in the ceiling so i can put screws in to shore it all up before skimming, of course the easiest way to avoid all of this is to reboard, it looks like you have one spread who thinks its sound and willing to skim, the other wants to reboard because maybe he thinks it will debond and fall down on his head

if the artex has never been painted, the pva coat will soften the artex and end up on your head. 9.5mm board all the way ;)

Sponsored Links
I used to remove Artex but not any longer. If it’s sound you can skim over it no problem, as long as it’s correctly prepped; even cracked Artex you can repair & scrim locally & then skim. I always add additional screw fixings to make sure it’s well fixed. If it’s beyond redemption, the quick & dirty fix is to overboard & re-skim but I’m not a fan & would rather rip it down & start again with 12.5mm boards.

Richard, the only reason i say 9.5mm board is because they pull right up tight to the ceiling, the extra rigidity of the thicker boards can leave gaps betwen layers and you know you are looking at screw heads in the not to distant future.

I used to remove Artex but not any longer. If it’s sound you can skim over it no problem, as long as it’s correctly prepped; even cracked Artex you can repair & scrim locally & then skim. I always add additional screw fixings to make sure it’s well fixed. If it’s beyond redemption, the quick & dirty fix is to overboard & re-skim but I’m not a fan & would rather rip it down & start again with 12.5mm boards.
yes sure if the artex is sound skim it , i have 3 ceilings to do in my own house and one of them its hard to see where the cracks start and where they finish as the texure is so thick the cracks are running in all directions and you cant see them proper becuse of the paint , i know im going to get the best result by taking the lot off (maybe a mornings work) see where the cracks are shore them up with screws scrim and then skim, what ever i think best i will do , i wouldent bother taking sound artex off 2 of my ceilings i will strip becuase of the state of the artex the other i will skim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back