Plastering over artex ceiling in bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a plasterer in to skim over artex as wasn’t sure if it contained asbestos or not. Plasterer gave up after an hour as plaster was popping and slipping off. Missus told me he used PVA beforehand. Before I go ahead and board over the artex and skim myself, is there anything I can try to avoid reboarding? I did a large ceiling many years ago that was artexed (didn’t know about asbestos in artex then). I scraped all the points off, added 2 coats of PVA then another coat just before I plastered - it was an absolute nightmare as it kept sucking the moisture out of the plaster and popping (hence why I promised myself I’d never do a ceiling again!). There must be a stronger adhesive I can use?

Recommendations/advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If there’s something about the surface causing it to be unstable then I’d go for the overboard. Tbh I’d over board most artex ceilings anyway, better job.
But alternatives to pva are thistle bondit and blue grit.

Over board it - nicer finish and mor esolid, IMO, at least in my old house!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back