Plaster over lining paper?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, firstly just want to say I’m not a plasterer (and would never attempt it) so apologies if what I’m asking/moaning about is actually a recognised plastering technique!
Been stripping the 1980’s anaglypta wallpaper from the house. Back breaking sweat box of a job but done the hall stairs and landing.
Today moved onto the living room which I think has been “anaglypta’d” more recently. Start stripping and noticed what looks to be a fairly recent skim under the lining paper which I thought was great as I can just get painting fairly quickly. However I noticed some sections of plaster were coming off really easily and on closer inspection there are sections of the wall where it looks like it’s been skimmed over the previous lining paper???
I’ve scraped these sections of plaster/paper off until it reaches a point where the paper seems to end and I’m just taking off the top coat plaster.

Is this just laziness on whoever skimmed the walls part of should I not have scraped these sections back? Please note it wasn’t intentionally to start with, it just came away as I was scraping the paper off what I thought was a recent top coat.
I’ve included some photos.

Attachments

• 71630133536__49668B9E-FE35-4FA9-884B-CDB61307651B.jpeg
    71630133536__49668B9E-FE35-4FA9-884B-CDB61307651B.jpeg
    409.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_9164.jpeg
    IMG_9164.jpeg
    519.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_9165.jpeg
    IMG_9165.jpeg
    279.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_9167.jpeg
    IMG_9167.jpeg
    445.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_9168.jpeg
    IMG_9168.jpeg
    360 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_9166.jpeg
    IMG_9166.jpeg
    386.5 KB · Views: 64
Sponsored Links
Were you using a steam stripper- they can be a big vicious on plaster.
Yes there are some lazy people around who would skim over paper - hopefully you aren't lifting the face off plasterboard (walls sound hollow)?

Hi, no I’ve learned my lesson with the steamer! Using Zinser diff and spraying it on, the.man scraping. The wall isn’t hollow. It’s also solid underneath this bonus layer of lining paper. If it was plaster board would it crumble more easily once you’re through the paper face?

The paper face on plasterboard is more like cardboard- if you did manage to get through it the innards would fall to bits (no polished surface)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back