Plasterboard sits proud of door liner after plastering...now what?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning,

We have just had one of our rooms boarded and plastered, however now the boards sit proud of the original door liner. Whats the best way to tackle this issue?

I have been told to get some wood to bring the liner out so that it would meet the architrave (when fitted), however where would you hinge the door? If you put the hinge on the new wood the door would be brought out and wouldnt close back to the original door stop correctly. Or would you leave the hinges where they are and just put a thinner piece of wood to meet the plaster?

Or...do i replace the liner (sounds messy and ive had enough of mess in that room with stripping all the plaster off the brick!)

Anyway, i've attached some pics to make things a bit clearer.

thanks!
Dave

Attachments

• 2018-03-22 09.16.08.jpg
    2018-03-22 09.16.08.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 932
  • 2018-03-22 09.16.01.jpg
    2018-03-22 09.16.01.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 761
  • 2018-03-22 09.15.47.jpg
    2018-03-22 09.15.47.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 765
Sponsored Links
I have been told to get some wood to bring the liner out so that it would meet the architrave (when fitted), however where would you hinge the door?
Yes you can do that. You treat the extra bit of stripwood as part of the architrave, not as part of the door frame. i.e. you set the stripwood back by about 5mm from the edge of the frame (this is called a 'reveal'), and set the architrave back by another 5mm, so you're creating one big layered architrave. Hinges go in the usual place; what you do with the stripwood/architrave has no effect on the door position.
(Since your gap looks quite big you might prefer to use two or even three layers of stripwood to do this, each set back by another 5mm)

Alternatively you can fit the architrave and then simply fill the gap, either with filler, or with a slightly-larger dowel glued into the gap. The latter is good if you're going for a classical architrave rather than a generic modern one, as I did here (that thin strip on the inside of the architrave is actually a dowel glued into the gap).
000000355840-jpeg.jpg
cimg1859.jpg

Something I did when the gap was big (like yours) was to use 12mm stripwood (actually MDF) and 12mm dowel to build up the architrave like this. The dowel is purely cosmetic of course, because I like the Victorian look.
wes.jpg

There are lots of ways to skin a cat, you don't have to stick to the generic bare-minumum-effort-hairy-arse-builder method. For example you can use several layers of MDF to create an art deco look.
craftsman-art-deco-half-bathroom-moldings.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for that detailed response! :)

If I can get away without moving the hinges forward it will be much easier as I wont have to bring the door stops forward either.

thanks,
Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back