Plasterboard wall fixings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I tried searching and got lots of different results...
I have a few things I'd like to afix to walls, all internal plasterboard walls.

1) A slim fish tank, similar in size to a thick plasma, mirrored edge. Not sure of weight. This is going onto a wall, where there used to be a door, covered up now due to extension. The studs aren't in the place for the fixings.

Will Rigifx be the ideal solution, bearing in mind there is no brick/masonry behind?

http://markgrantcables.co.uk/shop/i...ducts_id=126&zenid=569u7ien94p330jiel44rnkfs1

http://deltaleigh.co.uk/products/rigifix/

2) simple toilet roll, towel holders etc... the fixings supplied are normally cheap. What should I use instead, brown rawl plugs? Straight into hollow plasterboard.

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
I think I would use Heavy Duty Toggle Bolts for the Fish Tank, and maybe light weight Rawlplug Cavity fixings for the other items.

Remember though, once the Fish tank is filled even a small one would be very heavy, I would suggest putting it on a Fish Tank Stand and not fixed to the wall How are you going to stop water Spray marking the walls when you clean out the Tank etc

89709506.jpg

If you are set on putting it on the wall you could put a sheet of ply across from one stud to the next then mount onto that.
That's the best I can think of

Sponsored Links
If you are set on putting it on the wall you could put a sheet of ply across from one stud to the next then mount onto that.
That's the best I can think of
Thanks... it really does need to go on the wall, otherwise we would have bought a bigger one! :D

I have just bought some Neodymium disc magnets N42
So will use these to see exactly see how far apart and where the studs are...
Might be able to put one side in the woodwork, and then other fixing in the drywall, maybe the big toggle bolt above, or other?

:?:

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Barge pole comes to mind...

You can not fix a fish tank to plasterboard alone on a stud wall.

I like these wall anchors, as discussed in the "hanging a guitar" thread from 2008...
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=839721#839721

Hollow Wall Anchor, better/stronger than toggle bolt?

http://www.rawlplug.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=64&Itemid=34

http://www.screwfix.com/p/hollow-wall-anchor-5-x-72mm-16-32mm/11143

I'm even thinking of using these for the toilet roll holder!!
Maybe 43mm size or something... Just hope the diameter will be ok to go through the holder?

You say it's a "bit heavier, due to the water". Try 74KG, plus the weight of the glass!

A 40" TV is around 32" x 24". You say it's thin, so let's say 6" depth for the fishies to do a 3-point turn...
That's 81cm x 61cm x 15xm or 74,115cm cubed.

Which is 74KG just for the water.

No idea what fixings you'll need, but they will need to be pretty substantial. I like the idea of a batten as mentioned earlier in this thread, but that may be a lot of strain on the joints in the tank only being supported at the back. You may need to think about a triangulated shelf affair, stretching to the front of the tank (6" in my guesstimates).

Thanks, I will take some pictures and look around for some item specifics...

Hi all,
I don't appear to have any studs in my walls, in the main part of the house.
The magnets don't pick anything up, apart from for the loft conversion.

Could it just be timber and plasterboard? How would they afix together?
One of my technical colleagues (I work for a fit-out contractor) said to take a sledge hammer to the wall to find out the construction! :eek:

For the fish tank, further investigation is required.
For the bathroom accessories, normal fixings should be ok, such as small wall anchors?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back