mounting tv on drylined wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am awaiting delivery of a 55" LG LED TV. I want to wall mount it on my chimney breast, which is plasterboard over the original brick. The house is approx. 100 years old.

I am considering buying Rigifix fixings. But I am not sure of best way forward. I have used the 'knocking on the wall' method to try and discover if the wall is has wooden battens that the plasterboard is attached to, or if dot&dab, or even if its a combination (is that possible?).

There is an area around 2/3rds up that has a non-hollow sound when i knock and that goes right across horizontally :confused: suggesting a piece of wood? But then some areas lower down when I knock, only have solid sound in localised areas, i.e. not in a line vertically or horizontally. A stud finder may help here? (any recommendations welcome)

Finally, assuming the wall is ok to use Rigifix on, Just wondering the method I should use. I would probably buy the fixings from mark grant, with the masonry drill bit. I have an 18V Hitachi cordless drill. Would the included masonry drill bit fit, and would that drill have enough oomph to drill that depth into the chimney breast you reckon?

And any other advice you have (drill slightly smaller than needed hole?, drill at slightly downward gradient?, use different drill bit for the plasterboard section?)

Many thanks :)

James

Sponsored Links
You need to mark out the area of the mounting plate and remove the plasterboard in that area and replace with ply to bring it back level to surface [or even slightly proud] this can be secure to brickwork then you have a sound area to mount the bracket to.

You need to mark out the area of the mounting plate and remove the plasterboard in that area and replace with ply to bring it back level to surface [or even slightly proud] this can be secure to brickwork then you have a sound area to mount the bracket to.

Thanks for you reply.

So the ply would be the thickness of the gap plus plasterboard thickness? What bolts would I use to secure this to the brick wall? And how many / where on the ply would i need to secure to the wall.

Then the bracket mounts onto the ply using normal wood screws? :D

I hung a 42" plasma (much heavier than a 55" led) onto my extension wall The internal skin was thermalite blocks dot'n'dabbed with 12.5mm pb.
I had no issues putting bolts straight through into the thermalite which can be cut with a simple saw, its that soft, but it had no problems holding my tv.

I actually used M6 rawlplugs, did the job fine.

Sponsored Links

Thanks for you reply.

So the ply would be the thickness of the gap plus plasterboard thickness? What bolts would I use to secure this to the brick wall? And how many / where on the ply would i need to secure to the wall.

Then the bracket mounts onto the ply using normal wood screws? :D

Use the wall bracket mount positions to dictate where you secure timber, [too avoid obstructing your mount]standard plugs and long screws are all thats needed. [screw needs to penetrate wall at least 50mm].

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back