Fitting a TV wall mounting system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm a beginner at DIY, as you can probably tell :p.

I'm trying to mount my TV, I have to drill 6 10mm holes in to my chimney breast which is plastered and papered. The first 3 horizontally were fine in to the brick. The next holes must have been aligned just at the edge of the bottom of the bricks and as soon as I got through the plaster the drill started veering down to the least resistance from the mortar.

I expect I'm going to have to drill them all again but hope for the best when it comes to brick/mortar position. I'll do 1 top row hole by its bottom row hole this time.

Are there any tips you can provide for filling the holes I've caused and how to avoid drilling on a border of a brick to prevent this in future?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Best to start with a 5-6mm hole then enlarge it prevents the bit wandering around.You can fill with standard fillers, you don't mention size of tv but a couple of 10mm fixing will provide good support for most tv's.So the extra fixings are insurance but rarely needed.

Hi Foxhole,

Since posting this I read I should use a pilot hole and tried a 4mm, but the same problem occurred when I went to drill the 10mm.

I re-drilled a few cm up after guessing at the brick height and it looks like the holes are all good now. I also read using epoxy appropriate for masonry would be strong enough to re-drill.

The TV is around 18Kg, so I'm confident it will hold the weight.

The only thing I'm unsure of now is what to use to fill the holes? I won't be re-drilling them and although they aren't visible behind the TV I like to do things properly. They're around 5-6cm deep at 1cm diameter. It seemed most fillers I looked at in B&Q were suitable for 1cm depth. Should I fill it with mortar then when it's dry use a smooth filler? Or putty for it all?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You can use any filler, the depth affects to setting time, so you can fill them a cm at a time and leave a half hour before adding more, the cosmetic fillers [have no strength] can fill in one go but are more expensive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back