Plasterboard with plastic sheeting behind it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,
Im looking for some advice, we are in the process of doing up a house and on the ground floor have found walls covered in plasterboard. Where we have removed some of the board they are backed with plastic sheeting. I assume the plastic sheeting is some sort of damp proofing. The walls seem ok but where any nails are there appears to be damp patches round them.
So my question is should we take off the plasterboard and plastic or is it ok to leave it?

We have quite a bit of plastering to do anyway so removing it back to the brick work would not be a problem just more costly for materials and getting the areas re-done.

Many thanks in advance
S

Sponsored Links
I would sand and cement render w/ waterproofer and then skim the whole lot, that way you know what is there rather than leaving shoddy work by previous incompetents. That's what I did in my place and it's been a great learning curve - not as hard as everyone expects or says and you get a great workout. But plan well and research and think through everything extensively first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back