Damp Proofing Plaster

25 Aug 2009
Reaction score
United Kingdom
The victorian house we bought had an injected damp proof course and the plaster internally replaced on the ground floor to a height of about 4ft applied about 20 years ago. The internal plaster work is terrible and the plaster above is blown and coming away from the wall behind.

i would like to remove all of the plaster from the walls back to brick and then dry line using an insulated plasterboard on dabs and skim finished.

my question is, if i remove the plaster that was applied when the damp proofing was done will this affect the damp proof couse and will the damp come through the drylining?
Sponsored Links
There are so many things to consider.

Is the wall damp and is the damp from condensation because the room is not that well ventilated or is it coming from within the wall ie failed DPC or penetrating damp.

Removing the plaster should not affect the DPC but then 20 yrs old, the DPC may be coming to the end of its life anyway.

Is it gypsum plaster or cement render with a plaster skim? Gypsum plaster is no good in a damp situation.

I would be hesitant to put up plasterboard with a plaster adhesive as damp would still transfer through. You could try batten and then plasterboard provided that you had ventilation between the PB and wall - a flow of air to remove any damp.

Another solution is to render the wall with a hard motar mix - 3:1 - with a waterproofer in it. The render, when dry, could then be skimmed with a finishing plaster coat. This would keep the damp within the wall.

But the real solution is to find the source of the damp and eliminate it.
Thanks for the reply.

The walls are not damp but just unsightly, bad plaster finish to the render. I think it is possibly could be cement render as it seems harder than plasterwork.

If i batten the wall would you recommend wood or metal stud and would this be fixed to the wall or a frame built infront of the wall? How would i vent the void behind the plasterboard, do i have to put plastic vents in the wall?

I like the idea of rendering the wall. Would i have to render the whole wall?

Last thing, should i have a new chemical DPC before i do the plaster work as you said the existing is possibly coming to end.

Sponsored Links
There is a chance that if it has had a chemically injected damp proof coarse by a registered company, then there might be a slim chance that it had a 30 year gaurantee for the work done. Now the company may not be around but the gaurantee may be with an insurance company. Have a look thru your deeds and ask old neighbours in the area if they remember the work being done. You will never know if you dont ask or look. Good Luck.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local