Plasterboarding a ceiling - cut two boards down or use a thin strip?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

In need of some advice. Going to have a go at plasterboarding a new ceiling tomorrow (first time plasterboarding). If the ceiling/room is 2.6m wide, should I fit two full 2400 x 1200 boards and then cut a 200mm strip to fill the gap, or cut two of the boards down to avoid a thin strip? I've already got the boards in the room and they will run perpendicular to the joists.

Thanks

H

Sponsored Links
All edges need to lie along a joist, so where two boards meet, each board will need to lay halfway across the joist in order for it to be nailed/screwed securely into the joist. You need to measure what the distances are between the centres of each joist and cut your boards accordingly. Personally, (and this is just my opinion), I think you should avoid narrow strips as I have found in the past that they tend to cause cracks more easily than bigger board pieces.

In addition to above, smaller board prices are far easier to handle.
As a DIY'er, the largest boards I will use for a ceiling are 1800x900, although I am working alone.
I hope you have some help, or plenty of board props! :)

3.JPG
Hopefully this better explains the issue.

Sponsored Links
In addition to above, smaller board prices are far easier to handle.
As a DIY'er, the largest boards I will use for a ceiling are 1800x900, although I am working alone.
I hope you have some help, or plenty of board props! :)
I probably should have gone for the smaller boards in hindsight, but my local builders merchants doesn't stock them. I have invested in a lifter, which should help a bit!

Hopefully this better explains the issue.
Again, only as a DIY'er...

I would be tempted to put some noggins along that joint line, minimising any movement between the boards.

Although ideally, one full board should run down the centre, and two cut boards down either edge.

How wide are the joists? I'd be tempted to fit the boards running the opposite way to your drawing and then you can stagger the off cut at each end.

BoardMate - Drywall PlasterBoard Fixing Tool - Supports the Board in place while fixing. https://amzn.eu/d/f0c41Kg

I found a set of those useful for fitting full boards up on my own too, means you can hold the board up with one arm and fix in place with the other.

The 200mm thing is ok but I’d avoid a board that only fixes to 2 joists like the one that’ll presumably be on the bottom left of your pic. Slightly more likely to sag as it’s only fixed on the weak edge fixings not midway

Agree re. Boardmates being great kit, easy to do 6x3s on your own, never tried 8x4s with them tho and not sure I’m that brave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back