Plasterboarding question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Usually when I build timber walls or dry line a wall with timber as I have being doing today I would always construct the timber so that every single edge of the plasterboard sits on a batten.

However, today I've dry lined a wall ready for 1800x900 plasterboard after I removed a chimney stack. I have battens along the top and bottom of the wall and then I have vertical battens every 450mm.

I'm thinking of not bothering putting in horizontal studs so that means where 2 boards meet they won't be sitting on a batten. Does this matter at all? I'm assuming after tape and skim coat the joints should be fine.

Sponsored Links
it matters only that:

A. the bound edges of the board go across the battens or are at 90 degrees to the stud-work or joists.

B. ceilings boards are fixed at a maximum of 600mm c/c and walls are a maximum of 450mm c/c.

you could argue that 1/3rd or 1/2 span noggings support board edges but this is pure luck if they do. more often than not, the edges of the board are unsupported and that the joist, stud or batten elements are the only fixing point.

scrim tape will offer some reinforcing to the board edges also.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back