Plasterboarding uneven ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just plaster boarded an old lath ceiling, and putting the level up, I see now, where the chimney breast was taken out in the past, there is a dip where they stuck plasterboard up. I'm talking about an inch in that area.

What are the best options? I'm going to go over the ceiling with a bit to bonding to even out the minor dips, is it safe to fill this area out with bonding? or should I put a piece of plasterboard underneath this area?

Pulling the ceiling down isn't a good option, it's upstairs and there's lots of crap (dust etc) in the loft along with insulation.

Thanks in advance,

Sponsored Links
All things being level in the field, then piecing in a square of 12mm p/b at the c/breast would, maybe, pull you out far enough for you to then pull the rest out with bonding.

Or, using bonding, dot and dab a piece of p/b to meet the field.

Would it be worthwhile for you to string a couple of diagonal lines across the ceiling to check for a reasonable level and flatness? Just saying.

I'll think I'll go with that, the 12mm plasterboard underneath and bonding to level it all off.

I have a featheredge and a longer 4x2 I use to see things are level, but I like the diagonal string idea, thanks for that!

Another thing though Skhudy, after you fit the extra piece of plasterboard to bulk it out, i'd go over all the "dry cut edges" with pva to seal them. I'd also put tapes around/over all the edges to tie the "bulk patch" into the surrounding area of ceiling. Little things maybe, but definitely worth doing. When taping the bulk patch of board, put the tapes on as you go while putting on the bonding coat, and also, cut the tapes into 5" or 6" strips and tape "across" the 4 cut edges of board, all the way round, far stronger than putting one length along each side. Overkill maybe, and takes an extra 5, 10 minutes to do, but it definitely wont crack.

Sponsored Links
I think the lesson to be learnt here, is a little pre-planning, something that a keen eye, string line, straight edge/level..... could have spotted pre-boarding! And would have prevented hassle at a later stage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back