Plastering a conservatory with external (now renderred walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

This is my first post so be gentle.

I have a lean too conservatory that was built on the back and side of the house. Consequently it has 2 walls that are old external walls that are rendered and painted. (Unsure on paint type but it is shiny and was painted after conservatory was built so will be internal paint of some form) (Its very bumpy render like it has small stones in it but not as big as pebble dash) It seems pretty solidly stuck to the wall.
The other wall is exposed brick which I may keep, but may also plaster over, unsure.

I essentially want to get the bumpy rendered walls flat so that I can paint them (would have to work around 1 door and 1 window on 1 wall and 1 window on the other) and am unsure of the easiest solution.

1) Can the rendered walls be plastered directly on top after applying PVA or something similar, and would it be best to try and strip the paint somehow first?
2) Can you STICK plasterboard directly on the rendereded walls or would batterns be needed, in which case would it be easier to try and cut channels out of the rendor to attach the batterns direct to the brickwork?

Its not a massive conservatory Prob 3m by 3m so want to try and keep as much of the room as possible

There are no damp issues in the conservatory currently, but it can get cold in the winter as it has no source of heat, other than leaving the kitchen door open but then the house gets cold.

Any help / suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
David

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your advice. I may be able to get a friend to actually plaster it who I spoke to at the weekend, which would be easier given I would have to cut around 2 windows with the paster board and have not used plasterboard before. However, he is not a plasterer by trade (although I have seen some of his work in his house and it looks good) and he has not plastered on render before so I wanted to check if he did plaster it, would he be able to just plaster straight onto the painted render, or should it be coated with something first to help it to adhere?

Sponsored Links
I'd suggest covering the render in Thisle Bond-it before plastering it.

Not the cheapest product in the world, but very good for priming before plastering.

Remeber to leave a gap between the floor and the bottom of the plasterboard when you stick it up.

Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back