Plastering an outside toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm new to this site, I've been having a read of the different topics over the last few days, extremely useful! I've recently bought a house that needs loads of work doing to it, we've stripped it bare. We had a builder in to do some work for us, he was great and would definitely use him again. However, he has unearthed some problems which needed fixing and so our budget for improvement has ran dry! This means that I've been doing a lot of the work myself, including having a crack at skim plastering.

I did loads of research into the different methods and how to prepare the walls first. I've done the 3 bedrooms so far. The first wall was flat but not very smooth (luckily we're papering over that one!) but each wall has got better and better. The last room I did was pretty good, although not to professional standards.

My next job is to convert an outside toilet into a utility area, which will just be where we put the washing machine. At the moment it's a bare concrete floor, the walls are painted bricks and some of the paint at the bottom is flaking off. My plan is to plasterboard the walls, leaving a 15mm gap at the bottom to allow it all to breath, and then skim over the top (although I've been reading some of the threads on here about taping and bonding, so I may look into that). Now, should I attach a batten frame and board on top of that, or should I just dot dab straight onto the bricks?

Any tips for this job would be really appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It depends on how much you can get away with by putting battens on the wall or dot and dabbing. First of all I would use poly backed plaster board 22mm and if you have got the room fix 25x50mm tanalised battens(slating battens) on the wall at 400mm centres. Fix to wall with screws and plugs. If the paint is flaking at the bottom of wall then you have a bit of a damp problem. Either water creeping thru from outside or a bit of rising damp. If rising damp then it might be advisable to get a damp proofing company in to advise you of what should be done (you dont have to use them just pick their brains ;) ) If its water coming in from outside(I assume the wall is single brick thick?) then it may mean finding out where the water is coming from and address the problem. It might be an idea to paint some syntapruf up the wall where it meets the floor and along the floor about 6 inches just to form a seal between both. I would leave a gap between boards and floor of about 30-40 mm, You can dot and dab straight on to the wall by taking all the flakey paint off and maybe grinding diamond shapes on the wall for an extra key. Good Luck....Just a thought ..If you wanted to put skirting around you could put some DPC between boards and battens (About 6") and let it overlap on to the floor (2") and put your skirting on top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back