Plastering chimney breast for woodburner Q's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a plasterer due round in the next couple of weeks to plaster our living room. The fireplace has been brick lined with reclaimed brick and a hearth set ready for a multifuel stove.

Not sure wether the chimney breast should be dot dabbed or rendered. Any ideas where I could find some more definative info?

Sponsored Links
Just plaster it with sand and cement and then skim.

Dot and dab is no good inside a fire opening due to the heat from the stove, sand and cement will blow.

You need a Heat resistant plaster such as Victas, or a Lime based render.

Dot and dab is no good inside a fire opening due to the heat from the stove, sand and cement will blow.

You need a Heat resistant plaster such as Victas, or a Lime based render.

Read the op again.

The fireplace has been brick lined

Though I believe one part Gypsum with two parts Vermiculite (used for industrial fire proofing) is a good option for the stove enclosure.

I did mine with concrete because I love the stuff and am confident it will not blow.

Sponsored Links
Gypsum plaster could crack anywhere the temperature reaches 50+ celcius (it says it on the pack).

I haven't heard of mixing gypsum with vermiculite, so cannot comment.

Rendering with sand/cement should be ok above the fireplace, but not sure about the skimming if any. Vitcas can be expensive. I am using Natural Hydraulic Lime plaster, but if doing so make sure your plasterer gets a very basic knowledge on how to use it (from a supplier's helpline).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back