Chimney breast removal - making good

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Taken out a chimney breast on the ground floor. It's previously been taken all out upstairs and already supported in the loft.

It's an external 9inch solid brick wall. Where the lined chimney flue is going up the wall, it's stepped back so it's single brick thickness to the outside wall.

Would it be best practice to use the old bricks removed from the chimney and brick this area up? I was thinking about dot and dab on the whole wall, which would hide the void and be quicker, but if its recommended to brick it up I could do that

Sponsored Links
Adding bricks would be good to fill up the space, but be careful of the old soot. I've seen a building where you could see the soot marks where the flue went on the outside of the house. You'll need some kind of neutralisers to put on it.

dont use any bricks reclaimed from the old chimney breast if they have a whiff of soot on them - ditch all sooted bricks or even suspect bricks.
the back wall of the flue is presumably sooted up - even if you intend to brick up the 4 1/2" space, wire brush all soot and chemicals off the back wall of the flue.
then treat the surface with two coats of SBR or PVA.

best to finish with a render, not gypsum plaster, but with a lime render patch.

have you thought about making good the ceiling, and any hearth area remaining on the ground floor or the first floor.?

best to finish with a render, not gypsum plaster, but with a lime render patch.

have you thought about making good the ceiling, and any hearth area remaining on the ground floor or the first floor.?

Thanks - should have paid attention when I've helped builders before!

I'll take the hearth out, I've done them in my old house. Whole room is being refurbed will patch up the ceiling / floors

Sponsored Links
I've seen another post elsewhere saying screw in brick ties are needed to tie the bricked up chimney to the existing wall.

Is this ott or recommended? I haven't started yet so it can be done

not needed.
when brickwork is cleaned off then two coat with SBR and brick up with brick slips or whatever fits.
dont use gypsum plaster to patch up but use a sand and lime or a sand and cement render.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back