Reducing chimney breast - is it possible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've taken down my lathe and plaster ceilings (top floor), and can see 2x4 joists at 30cm centres, spanning 3.8 metres from party brick wall to outer brick wall.

All but two of these joists rest on a wall plate, tied in to the wall by steel brackets.

The remaining two rest on the chimney breast - this is possible because the chimney breast reduces from 50cm in the room, immediately down to half. The two joists rest on that front half, while the much reduced chimney breast leads up the party wall in the loft, up to the chimney stack.

Question is, can I safely remove the front of the chimney stack, and support the two joists much as I would a loft hatch? I can't see that the front of the chimney would be supporting anything, and it takes up a lot of space. No idea why it's that big anyway.

Of course, the same chimney serves the room below, but I think the hollow/flue for that will be in the back half already, as it leads up to join the part in the loft.

Thanks

Marcos

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
ok i very much doubt it the front face is the supporting layer for the the whole stack
the stack will be that deep for a reason eg the fire place is deeper than the stack above
you also get the flues from downstairs passing to the side

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back