Plastering Over an Intact Brick Fireplace.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've a nasty looking brick fireplace. Very basic wall of bricks with a hole.

I'm considering using plaster board to cover just the bricks and keep the fireplace in use. In other words, the fireplace just looks the same as wall.

Seeing as the plasterboard will not come in contact with the fire, as it's further from it than than the origial brick surface, is there a type of plasterboard I should use? And what thickness?

Sponsored Links
if it's not an open fire then i see no probs.

if it's an open fire then i believe it’s a no no (only fire brick is acceptable)

i don't know of a special fire rated plaster board. i would use std plasterboard and skim plaster.

Oh no! So disappointed.
The house is a council house and I'm never sure weather I'm here to stay longterm. In other words, I don't mind putting effort in but to pay over 1000 euros for a fireplace might be a bit of a waste. Plus the the breast width is very small and my choices are narrowed to what I could put in. Cast iron seems to be my only option. I don't think that would suit the house.
Making a fascade over the original fireplace (if you could call it that) was my best idea.

Though it embarresses me I'll show you what I'm up against. Just in case I didn't describe well what I would be working on top of.
I'm new I don't know if the image will workout.
[/img]

no need for any embarrassment. it doesn’t look that bad too me and a lot in smokeless zones like me are quite envious.

I’m not sure what amount of work you’re permitted so i will leave this to u.

the following ideas cross my mind.

1) the fire place looks what i call open or real fire ie it burns wood or coal. i'd plaster the external front and sides (brickwork) and put a grate in to continue wood or coal burning. i'm pretty certain that u can also buy a fire back to put inside the chimney to help the looks a little. the grate would sit inside it.
2) if you have a gas supply would plaster the brickwork then install a wall mounted gas fire. this sort of fire has a plate with a letter box in it which is fixed/sealed to the front brick surface. u could probably pick up a 2nd hand fire.
3) the brickwork looks as if it's been added. i would knock it down and open up the original chimney brest front to put an inset gas fire into the hole. these seal against the front of the chimney breast but sit inside the chimney. some brickwork mods would be needed to increase the width of opening. generally marble and wood surround is added

no 1 is a quick quite, 2 & 3 are needing more effort but offer better finished looks.

the other thing that is very important is corgie. all fires in the uk have to be installed by a corgie fitter. there is no problem with u doing some of the work but the final fitting is theirs only. its crucial to find a corgie man up front and get his thoughts on the options. he will also need to carry out a flue test to make sure the chimney is in good nick. the alternative would be to buy from a fire shop to supply and fit (although this is likely to be more expensive).

Sponsored Links
there is a new Decopierre team in Ireland probably decopierre.ir I guess. they can make it look like anything.... even bricks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back