Plastering over new plaster/painted plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We've just had the builders in to fit some french doors. They have plastered around the new doors and in the reveal but the rest of the wall is old plaster that looks to have white paint on it.

The wall only measures approx 10' square, so after succesfully plastering a couple of other rooms in the house I wondered if I would be able to skim over the new plaster and the old plaster to make it:

a) good and flat enough to paper over
b) good and flat enough to paint!

The question is do I need to do anything to the existing surfaces (old painted plaster/new, 2 week old plaster) like PVA or scoring, or will the plaster (I assume it would be finnishing plaster) take to it ok?

Any help appreciated, I would get a plasterer in, but its a small wall and needs doing before the baby arrives (3 weeks) and none of the local plasterers are interested.

Thanks

CC

Sponsored Links
id definately key the old plaster (scratch it with a stanley knife or old saw) then a ****y unibond coat (pva) over the whole lot

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back