Plastering over plastic central heating pipes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. I've just had new radiator pipes fitted to hide them in the wall. I had to chase out the wall a bit after the plumber had finished as i didn't think there'd be enough plaster over the pipes to keep them from cracking the new plaster to be applied on top. The pipes are plastic and there's now a 1cm gap between the pipes and the surface of the old plaster. There will be another 3mm odd on top of that as the whole room is being re skimmed aswell. How do I cover the pipes in plaster so it doesn't crack? Do I PVA the wall and plastic pipes first, then apply a browning plaster coat right upto the surface of the surrounding plaster, then have the plasterer just skim on top of that? I take it I should keep the heating off for a couple of days whilst the plaster dries? What is the best solution? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a couple of photo links of the pipes:
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w182/johnsmoker/pipes2.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w182/johnsmoker/pipes1.jpg

Sponsored Links
Try getting some sort of plastic pipe capping so that the plaster doesn't come directly into contact with the pipes. The pipes will need a void around them to allow them to expand and contract as they heat and cool.

Some sort of plastic conduit would do the job, or you can get pipe covers from places like B&Q or Screwfix.

Can't see you getting that to cover without cracking.

Sponsored Links
Instead of a plastic conduit, what about patch repair mesh nailed across the pipes into the wall and then plaster over the top of that. The pipes are clipped to the wall with pipe clips very well as they did expand a touch when the heating is on but now they don't noticably move at all so would a mesh be a good idea. A plastic conduit would take up too much room to the surface of the overlaying plaster where as a mesh wouldn't be as bad. What do you reckon?

That might just do the trick. Worth a shot.

:rolleyes:

I just don't understand why people persist in doing this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back