Plastering Prep Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I wonder if you can give me some advice on Plastering Prep. We live in a typical, 1930's Semi and have scheduled some FMB/Trustmark builders to come in next week. We have stripped off all the old wallpaper & loose paint (still a bit more to do, buy hey were nearly there), however the builders say we have to get ALL the paint off the ceiling (not so much the walls) otherwise the skim might blister?

What I need to know is WHY?. The reason we are getting the wall/ceiling skimmed is to reduce our prep/after workload. I always thought that as long as all the old paper, glue and LOOSE paint was off this should give the plasterer a good enough finish to start his/her skimming. We will be there till the next millenium if we have to scrape off old white paint that is stuck fast!!!!....Won't the "unibonding" of the walls sort out any probs?

Please HELP..before my wife divorces me!! (and that's getting the builders in, you can imagine if I had DIY'ed it!! - can't you?)

What condition do our walls & ceiling really have to be in for plaster skimming?

Cheers

Ross..

Sponsored Links
aslong as you have removed paper and loose paint thats all thats needed appart from skimming it yourself ;)

Cheers...just so I am clear......so the paint that is stuck fast after sugar soaping, won't cause any problems with the skimming? (like blistering?)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back