Plastering small area - how long before putting lining paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, need to repair a small section of plaster work about 2 feet by 2 feet on a wall. The current plaster (about 12mm deep) will be removed to the breeze block.

How long should the newly plastered area be left to dry before putting up the lining paper.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Bonding and skimming. Sorry, forgot to mention that.

Cheers

Been out for dinner tonight & just got back.
Surprised you've had no replies before - quiet night tonight on Plastering & Rendering! ;)

Bonding will take longer to dry out, but if I was doing it, an undercoat plaster would be my preference to patch with skim to follow.
Depends how much time you can allow - but would have thought a couple of weeks to be safe. Even though the damp marks can disappear quite quickly, it takes a bit longer to properly dry.

There are some posts on the forum regarding patching - I suggest you try to dig them out. I think Rich C advocates cutting back a bit of the surrounding skim to allow a more staggered join (include scrim tape) to limit the chance of cracking at the join subsequently.

Of course, easi-fill is an alternative to multi-finish skim, if not experienced. Easier to blend in as it can be sanded.

Sponsored Links
DIYnewbee99 said:

Depends how much time you can allow - but would have thought a couple of weeks to be safe. Even though the damp marks can disappear quite quickly, it takes a bit longer to properly dry.

Of course, easi-fill is an alternative to multi-finish skim, if not experienced. Easier to blend in as it can be sanded.

Thanks for the info. I will also look at easy-fill too as I am definitely not experienced.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back