Plastering Surround to Knocked Through Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Have knocked through wall between bathroom and toilet as part of a bathroom refit including moving the toilet to enable a new shower cubicle to be installed.

Bit of wall has been left either side of the opening to frame it - I have studded and plasterboarded a small area between the 2 walls at the top to complete the framing between the rooms (see pics).

I was thinking of plasterboarding the exposed edges of blockwork on the side walls and then skimming the lot. My question is therefore how best to approach this ?

Am I best putting some sort of render on the exposed wall edges first to level them and then fixing the board with an adhesive ? Or is it possible to use big dot n dabs of adhesive to level the plasterboard on the wall without rendering 1st ?

You can see that the walls are quite even on one side but a littl less so on the other - this was due to chain drilling the wall to remove it - the sds was clearly neat on its way in and less so on the way out.

Photos:

Any tips on plastering internal and external corners would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance of any advice offered.

Sponsored Links
Dab will be fine, where your studding meets the block wall will more than likely crack though.

Thanks for the reply.

Is there anything I can do to minimise the risk of cracking - eg the metal mesh type stuff between the studding and block wall.

Or am I better off ripping out the studding and sticking a concrete lintel in with a couple of courses of bricks ? How much lintel would need to be sat on the blockwork either side ?

I also have to block up the old toilet door and believe this will have to be studded as there is only floorboard below so not really up to supporting the weight of masonry. This blocked door will be part of the wall for the shower enclosure - the whole wall will be studded on the shower side and drylined to create space for the pipes. I have a separate thread running on this.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
I would have dabbed the wall each side and continued the same plasterboard onto the studding to avoid having a join where wood meets block, as for the doorway, you could put some DPC down and use light weight blocks on a door way, I cant see it causing much problem, there are other ways too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back