Plastering - Thermalite inner skin/existing conc. blockwork.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There's quite a lot going on here, there was a balcony recessed into the house, (extents shown by the exposed conc. blockwork), you can see the lower extremity of a roof joist, new thermalite inner skin, roof straps etc. I still have a little patching up to do on what was exposed when the render came off the old balcony side wall.

I won't be attempting the plastering myself. I would prefer to get it wet plastered...

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Attachments

• DSCF3274.JPG
    DSCF3274.JPG
    203.6 KB · Views: 270
  • DSCF3275.JPG
    DSCF3275.JPG
    210.4 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I would like that wall wet plastered (and adjacent walls that are thermalite). I'm worried that just wet plastering or rendering the wall in shot, which is clearly made up of materials of differing density, would inevitably cause cracking at the interface. I was wondering if some expanded mesh might be called for here.

The small bits of exposed timber could each have similar sized polythene membrane stuck over them to debond any later render/plaster.

I don't know much about plastering and won't be doing the job myself, but I'd rather know what is involved before contacting any tradesmen.

Last edited:
The density can be evened out with prep,you can use eml on the tiny bit of wood but as I said earlier what are you doing with the beams? You not going to board them?

Sponsored Links
The beam with the visible joist hanger (top right) with the mock Tudor exposed roof joist? Yes, I was going to box in the hanger beam with plasterboard.

The existing original ceiling is plasterboard fitted 2.5" up between the lower rails of the roof joists (mock Tudor?) so that the roof beams are showing. Not sure that the Tudors used 16" ctrs but that's what the existing effect is so I continued it.

Prep? This would eliminate any potential cracking along the vertical joint between the new thermalites and old conc. blocks?

Attachments

• DSCF3301.JPG
    DSCF3301.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
I can't see any issues with it tbh once it's all prepped evened out the density of the blocks will make no diff in terms of cracking

What would preparation involve? Would any special preparation at the joint between the conc. blocks and thermalites be necessary?

Would the best option on the conc. & thermalite wall be be sand/cement render and skim?

Would the thermalite only walls have the same covering?

When would the wall have a coarse plaster base and then a skim, compared to a sand/cement base and skim?

I don't understand the difference between the two choices.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back