Plastic pipe , but which is the best make on the market ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
there a load of different makes of plastic pipe on the market , FloPlast , JG Speedfit , Polypipe , Hep20 , polybutylene ,but which is the best ??? i believe Hep20 give a 50 year guarantee ?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I use either Hep20 (grey) with white JG fittings, or as lcgs said 16mm unipipe for when i am carcassing a whole house.

Never had a problem with either of the above and so stick with them on the occasions that I use plastic.

Hep when i use plastic unless its temporary repair and then i would use JG speedfit demountable stuff

polypipe or hep2o generally , anything bigger than 15mm generally prefer the 3 meter lengths as opposed to coils , 50 year warranty Hmm , doubt if that is worth the paper it is written on ????????

pipe might have but bet the o rings in the pushfit fittings dont have.

I use it occasionally but steer clear of it generally. The best i have used is definetely unipipe mlcp. Personally i think it is better than copper and that really is saying a lot.
Only problem is it is the wrong size for std british plumbing (16, 18, 20, 25 up to 110mm) so you need to carry adaptors for compression. Not much of a problem if you are doing a full project as it would probably be all press but for everyday use in plumbing it is not practical. Not many merchants stock it.
If it was in 15, 22, 28 etc no one would be using any of the other shyte.

I renewed a supply pipe in blue poly recently, was very pleased to be able to run a long length off the coil with no joints and connectors, and able to bend it up and round and into a duct

Is there a similar product for indoor use, rather than having to join relatively short lengths?

You can buy hep and speedfit in rolls, you can get a pretty decent bend in them with a normal copper bender. You can also get formers to use if you want a tightish bend.

so if i go with Hep20 , do i always use there fittings ? or is it ok to use , say JG Speedfit on other makes of plastic pipe???

You can mix the fittings if you want as long as you use the correct inserts for the pipe.
If a flood did happen though the manufacturers wouldn't want to know, and the insurance company would probably take a very dim view. It's cheaper for them that way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back