Plastic pipe help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We've got this black plastic pipe running round to the back garden from a very old stopcock. I want to connect to an outside tap. As you can see it is bigger than 15mm but smaller than 20mm. Is it an old imperial pipe and is there any way to convert it to 20mm or 25mm mdpe?

Attachments

• PHOTO_20160817_115450.jpg
    PHOTO_20160817_115450.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 114
Sponsored Links
is the internal diameter half an inch?

What is the exact external diameter?

Are you sure it is not some kind of garden hose, rather than plumber's pipe?

Can you put up a photo of the old stopcock?

Hi, internal is 13mm so yes, as best to 1/2 inch as you'll get. External is 18mm.

Picture of stopcock, comes from the meter up though the floor and splits at a tee.

Don't want to take the pipe off there if I've nothing else to replace it with, as you can see there a wider bore pipe going off the other way.

The one I want to connect is the one going to the right.

Attachments

• PHOTO_20160817_122150.jpg
    PHOTO_20160817_122150.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 102
Looks like there is some kind of adaptor sleeve in the compression joint?

Sponsored Links
I expect it is the old black alkathene water supply pipe.

I gather that it is possible to get fittings for it from a few plumbers merchants.

Whether that's worthwhile is another question. Might be able to replace it more cheaply with hosepipe or the blue mdpe pipe used nowadays.

Tony

Hi all, cheers for all the replies, I would replace the whole thing if I was sure I could get a fitting that will fit the stopcock pictured earlier.

How about if I were to replace everything above the tap, including the tee, is there a fitting that will go onto the top of the tap (a compression) that I could then continue with push fit fittings?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back