Plastic piping near boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 3/4" plastic piping running along side my boiler as the main hot water feed before connecting to 1/2" to the radiators. I wanted to arrange a monthly maintainance plan & called Homeserve by Scottish Gas who sent someone out. They told me that they wouldn't take me on saying that I should have copper piping within 5ft of the boiler. The Boiler is a Modena 80E combi. Is this right? Do I now have to change the pipework?

Sponsored Links
Most boiler manufacturers ask for the first metre or so of pipes connected to the boiler to be in copper.

Strictly thats not meaning that you cannot have plastic pipes within a metre of the boiler but rather that it has to be copper from the pipe's connection to the boiler.

I dont like plastic pipes either!

If you wanted you could have them changed to copper at about £140 but its probably better to ask other providers like British Gas and see if they will accept the system.

Or just find a good independent who might work out cheaper in the long run. Be aware your boiler is getting a little old and would not be welcomed by the breakdown cover firms.

Tony

I was considering replacing the boiler as it is becoming a little "tempremental" in it's old age. Not sure which to go for though. I could replace the pipes then.

I was considering replacing the boiler as it is becoming a little "tempremental" in it's old age. Not sure which to go for though. I could replace the pipes then.

good idea. Next time get a decent boiler would be my advice, you pay for what you get.

Sponsored Links
Why exactly do you want Homeserve? It rarely works out cheaper for the customer, you're much better off getting a new boiler if you think you need one anyway, and calling a plumber in the unlikely even it breaks down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back