Best plastic pipe for CH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, what would you pro's recommend as the best type of plastic pipe for CH systems ? It needs to be fitted into the 22mm feed and return pipes from the boiler so I can reroute these pipes to avoid the new stud wall I am building. It's about 3M away from the boiler so I'm presuming it is safe to use ? Also, do you have to insert the little internal ferrules when joining this pipe, or are these just for when it is to be attached to a radiator valve etc, where a compression fitting will be made ?

I would normally use copper with end feed fittings but I need a little bit more flexibility with routing of the pipework that plastic can give & also the price of copper is horrendous atm.

Thanks as always.

Sponsored Links
You cannot put plastic pipe directly on the boiler flow and returns,, you need to put copper 1st for a couple of meters then I would use grey HEP ..

You cannot put plastic pipe directly on the boiler flow and returns,, you need to put copper 1st for a couple of meters then I would use grey HEP ..

Thanks GM. I suppose I worded my post a little unclear. The point were I am going to be rerouting the pipework is 3M away from the boiler. Up to that point is indeed 22mm copper.

In that case HEP pipe which comes in large coils and hep fittings but dont forget the inserts in the pipe ends ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. I only need about 10M or so of the pipe, so I'm gonna see if it's cheaper just to buy a few 3m lengths. I have heard so many things about different plastic pipe that I thought it would be best to ask here what is the best bet for CH.

I think they do a coil that will suit your needs,,
yeah there is speedfit but I really dont like it ,

I always try to run each length of pipe in one piece with no joints, especiallywhere the joint will be inaccessible.. I like Speedfit.

Hi, what would you pro's recommend as the best type of plastic pipe for CH systems ?
The main two choices are John Guest Speedfit barrier pipe, or Hepworth Hep2o barrier pipe. My personal preference for push-fit fittings is Hep2o, which is why I use their pipe, i.e. to ensure compatibility.

It needs to be fitted into the 22mm feed and return pipes from the boiler so I can reroute these pipes to avoid the new stud wall I am building. It's about 3M away from the boiler so I'm presuming it is safe to use ?
It's safe if the boiler and other heating system components have been installed correctly.

Also, do you have to insert the little internal ferrules when joining this pipe, or are these just for when it is to be attached to a radiator valve etc, where a compression fitting will be made ?
You have to use the inserts (aka sleeves) at every cut end of the plastic pipe. Use a sharp cutter and follow the manufacturer's guidance on cutting, fitting and supporting.

Hi, what would you pro's recommend as the best type of plastic pipe for CH systems ?

Fair question but as for the pro bit. That's like asking which one of these fast foods would you michelen star chefs serve in your restaurant?

Fair question but as for the pro bit. That's like asking which one of these fast foods would you michelen star chefs serve in your restaurant?

He He... And there are some folk who prefer to use a brace and bit rather than a cordless ;)

He He... And there are some folk who prefer to use a brace and bit rather than a cordless ;)

You've misunderstood C/grouch. I'm not knocking the product or those who use it, just it's association with the word 'pro'. That's because there is nothing in it's manual use that requires any professional skills over those of a complete first timer, there are even instructions in every bag.

My apologies for the misunderstanding Nixt.. Yep speedfit is as easy as pie, yet there are those out there who can still get it wrong :eek: They just don't get it that the inserts are important and that the pipe must be unmarked.

That's because there is nothing in it's manual use that requires any professional skills over those of a complete first timer, there are even instructions in every bag.

It wasn't the fitting of it I was worried about. It's just that as you say, I'm a diy'er & a lot of the guys on here use this stuff day in, day out, so I will always ask for advice on the best product based on their experience.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back