Plastic roof lean to. Timber advice would be appreciated

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building a lean to behind a reasonably large shed. It will be out of sight so prettiness is not the main consideration. I am able to do the work, but am a little concerned about the design of the timber.

Some images on t'net suggest sing 6" x 3" for the joists. This seem s a bit excessive, as the only load is the plastic sheeting plus snow. The roof will be 3M x 4m, the pitch being formed by one side at 1.8M and the other 2.4M.

I suppose the main thing is knowing how big I HAVE to go for

a) The vertical supports (and their spacing)
b) Joistsn (presumably I would space these the same as the joists?)
c) Purlins (I understand these should be 600mm centred.

Are there any "standard" plans around?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You haven't actually said what the lean-to is intended for, nor what size etc.
Assuming it's a shed like structure for the base and top runners and the studs 2"x2"will be fine and 3"x1" or there about for the lean-to roof to carry plastic, however if it's corrugated the plasic will nedd little in the way of support other than a mid span cross bearer.
Here's a whole load of plans, just adjust to suit your requirements - http://www.shedplansz.com/lean-to-shed-plans

Good luck...pinenot :)

You haven't actually said what the lean-to is intended for, nor what size etc.
Assuming it's a shed like structure for the base and top runners and the studs 2"x2"will be fine and 3"x1" or there about for the lean-to roof to carry plastic, however if it's corrugated the plasic will nedd little in the way of support other than a mid span cross bearer.
Here's a whole load of plans, just adjust to suit your requirements - http://www.shedplansz.com/lean-to-shed-plans

Good luck...pinenot :)

Great. Thanks for that, I shall have a good like this pm. Meanwhile, you are right, I wasn't very clear. The lean to will be about 4M x 3M, On side 1.8M the other 2.2M or thereabouts.

It will be used for general storage, and, in the warmer months, space for working on a bench

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back