Plastic skirting and massive gaps underneath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi! I have those plastic skirting pieced installed around the house. Unfortunately there are massive gaps underneath so we get a lot of wind near the floor/ bugs getting out from below the floors. I will be taking them out to fill the gaps and reinstalling them once sealed. The question is what can I use to seal them?the one on the photo is small if u compare it to the other ones

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 66
Sponsored Links
Expanding foam done with a gun not a can/straw then cut it back when dry

That’s what I was thinking but I’m not sure if there are any types of foams? Also we have a bit of dump problem, is it still ok to use foam?

If you've a damp problem you don't want to be sealing up gaps, air flow helps with damp albeit not keeping warm

Sponsored Links
Find the damp issue and fix it first.

We found the problems.hopefully all of them. Some of them are already fixed and the rest we are getting sorted at the beginning of November.
Sad story- we replaced the shattered pipe underground, we fixed the gutters,we did repointing and now we are removing all the old concrete around the house cos it’s no longer leveled- it kind of sink in towards the property (meaning that it leads all the rain water straight underneath the house)
I’m a busy mom and I just got some unexpected time (1 day) child free so I want to use it to do something around the house.
I know that the dump needs some “air” however I have 2 crawling babies and I can’t leave this problem till winter is here (that sounds like game of thrones lol)
I just need to find the right product that is not a temporary fix

Expanding foam would do it, and stick your skirting boards on at the same time, but you will need a bit of practice with this as the foam will expand as it setting so you need something heavy to hold it in place while it goes off for about 20 mins. It would probably be easier using sticks like sh*t or another polymer type mastic, but some don't like certain types of plastic. My advice if you are using expanding foam for the first time is practice outside and don't try to clean any mess of spillages until it has cured.

Last edited:
If you do use the foam, i would wait until it cures before fixing the skirting back....

One step at a time is my advice..

I’m doing it tomorrow and I will post an update regardless of the results.once the foam is dry I’m going to screw the skirting to the wall with the dog screws( I think that’s what they are called).

If it were me, i would stick the plastic skirting back, unless you already had screw holes in them?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back