Best way to fill gap under skirting - before carpet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've seen a lot of help for filling the gap between skirting and laminate floor, but what's the best way to fill the gap between the skirting and floorboards, prior to getting carpet fitted.

I know the correct thing to do is to remove the skirtings, but this is not possible. I would like some tips on how to fill the gap. It varies in size from about 4mm to 10mm in places.

Reason for wanting to seal the gap is to avoid the black filtration marks on the new carpet and be mouse proof!

Any advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I'm doing the same thing at the moment, mainly to stop the slugs getting in from the cellar! I used expanding foam for the larger gaps (slicing off the the excess afterwards), and for the thin gaps I will either use silicone or acrylic sealant, basically whatever I have left over in my tool box. Heck I think I have a tube of decorators caulk that I'm never going to use for anything else...

If the gap is really big, I find caulk a bit difficult - especially as you'd need a few layers with gaps as big as 10mm. If you were to use it, I'd run masking tape along the floor so that when you've filled it, you can peel this back to get a nice clean line.

Only other real option is finished strip but not sure how well this would work on carpet.

I was thinking about sealing the gap and created a different thread. I was wondering whether a gap was good to allow the room to breathe a bit? I had carpet bug larvae escape into the gap, hence I was wanting to seal.

Sponsored Links
I was thinking about sealing the gap and created a different thread. I was wondering whether a gap was good to allow the room to breathe a bit? I had carpet bug larvae escape into the gap, hence I was wanting to seal.
A new thread is best , carpet and underlay are around 20mm thick so should be no visible gap.
Not sure why you would want to trap carpet bugs in room , surely you want to exterminate them?

A new thread is best , carpet and underlay are around 20mm thick so should be no visible gap.
Not sure why you would want to trap carpet bugs in room , surely you want to exterminate them?
Thanks, I will rid them but it was to stop a place for them to hide / breed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back