Filling gaps on stairs prior to painting edges of treads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of decorating my staircase prior to the installation of a carpet runner with a 15cm gap each side which will be painted white eggshell.

I have stripped (with a hot air gun) the years of paint and sticky black stuff (what is it?) and will now sand down prior to priming etc.

There are small gaps between (1) the treads/risers and the skirtings, (2) between floorboards on the 2 half landings and (3) between the floorboards on those landings and the skirtings.

Before I paint I should be grateful for advice on filling those gaps. Given the heavy use of the staircase and the inevitable movements do I just fill the gaps to the skirting with a flexible filler and if so just regular flexible caulk or something else. And what about the gaps between the floorboards on the landings, if at all. Not much will show but will a regular filler just crack and fall out within a few months. If so, what do I use.

Please help and many thanks

Sponsored Links
I am in the process of decorating my staircase prior to the installation of a carpet runner with a 15cm gap each side which will be painted white eggshell.

I have stripped (with a hot air gun) the years of paint and sticky black stuff (what is it?) and will now sand down prior to priming etc.

There are small gaps between (1) the treads/risers and the skirtings, (2) between floorboards on the 2 half landings and (3) between the floorboards on those landings and the skirtings.

Before I paint I should be grateful for advice on filling those gaps. Given the heavy use of the staircase and the inevitable movements do I just fill the gaps to the skirting with a flexible filler and if so just regular flexible caulk or something else. And what about the gaps between the floorboards on the landings, if at all. Not much will show but will a regular filler just crack and fall out within a few months. If so, what do I use.

Please help and many thanks

Anyone?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back