Stairs - Treads only?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to replace a staircase that runs up between two solid walls.

The original staircase looks like a bog-standard (for then) 3ft width and it has been padded along its length to fill the 960mm gap between the walls. This has led to a clumsy patching of the gap with some painted wood on the upper side.

I'm thinking of replacing the staircase. Is there any reason why I cannot just put treads suppported on individual brackets hard against the walls on either side. Mrs Tet will likely insist on carpetted treads but I could then choose any material for the risers and dispense with a stringer altogether. This will be another step on my mission to eliminate every painted wooden surface from the house.

If this is possible then what size and choice of material would be best for the treads and brackets themselves

Any advice and/or criticism welcome

Regards

Tet

Sponsored Links
I'm thinking of replacing the staircase. Is there any reason why I cannot just put treads suppported on individual brackets hard against the walls on either side.
Good luck trying to get all the treads level and in line in existing masonry, especially if the walls are not new. Personally, I think you will really struggle. Also bear in mind that for safety the rise and going of a stair must be pretty consistent - uneven or out of level treads can and do cause trip accidents (which is why we have regulations in the first place)

You will also have the problem that this would not be a like for like replacement of the existing staircase, so Building Control need to be involved, and they will insist on the new stairs meeting the current regulations as well as probably requiring to see some structural calculations from an engineer showing that the new stairs would be safe. I really can't see them signing off on your idea at all

TBH your best bets are either to overclad the existing treads and risers with plywood, levelling as you go, or just replace the stairs with a new set - if necessary in steel. I've worked on a few jobs where fabricated steel stairs were installed. These were fabbed off site and bolted together in situ (but still needed to meet all the legal requirements and have engineer's calcs, etc). Personally I'm not a fan - they are heavy and tend to be noisy in use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back