PLEASE HELP - Memory Update for a Dell Dimension 1100

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Im trying to update the RAM for my Dell Dimension 1100. Inside the box are two slots and each contains one 256mb DDR 400 mhz-CL3 PC3200U-3030-0-AO.

I have bought the following item from ebay :-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2GB-DDR-2X-1G...M_JN?hash=item1e57c2a5af&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

When i came to install this my PC just made a repeated buzz and wouldnt start up.

I have put the old memory back in and my PC works fine.

Any ideas here or can someone point me in the right direction if i have ordered the wrong parts.

Cheers in advance

Dale.
:p

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
I have a suspicion that the RAM you have purchased is not compatible with your system - if you scroll down through the spec. you will find the statement 'DOES NOT WORK WORK ON INTEL CHIPSETS AND MAC CHIPSETS'. AFAIK Dell use INTEL chipsets :cry:

Have a look HERE for compatible modules.

Not sure about the ExtraValue line - personal view is I prefer to buy branded product. Alternative Corsair may be a better bet at just a few pounds more.

In any event might be worth while phoning ebuyer first to check on compatibility and returns policy if not ok

Sponsored Links
Assuming you have the other spec of the memory correct, there are low and high density chip options, you need low density. Not all Ebay sellers give the chip density, but if you find one that states low density then it will be compatible (provided you've the other spec right of course).

Back