Please Sign the Government partition

Sponsored Links
I believe that in the early 20th century, things were a little better and, of course, after 1950 we had the welfare state supported by numerous charities and since then real poverty has become almost unheard of. ... I believe that the present surge of crime is as a result of the factors already discussed ....
It may have accelerated a bit recently but, as I said, crime seems to have been increasing (following that brief 'better period' in the earthy 20th century) for more-or-less my entire life (which started a year before 1950 :) ).

Kind Regards, John

Is there a causal link there?

rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif

Sponsored Links
Firearms?

upload_2018-11-10_14-41-26.png

When did Theresa cut police budgets?

people who are not insured, or don't want to claim, may see no point in it. Often if you do report, you will be given a crime number so you can claim off your insurance, and never hear any more about it. That's why the British Crime Survey numbers are not the same as police numbers.

More people have insurance now than did fifty or a hundred years ago.

"Not bothering to report" is not new.

Whilst it is great to have the petition for vans in my opinion it would be even better to include workshops as well. I have most of my portable (hand) tools locked in 2 tool safes (not tool chests) and most of my electrical tools stored in the house. It would be nice to be able to leave a lot f my workshop tools out in the racks where they had been for many years. Today I find I'm either using a smaller range of tools or buying new ones 'cause I can't be bothered or can't find the tool I want.

I wonder what has happened to crime levels over the last 35 years or so. https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...ice/bulletins/crimeinenglandandwales/june2017
As I'm sure you know, there has been an awful lot of discussion and debate (and some criticism) of those statistics'. For a start, the way in which police 'record' crimes (and, indeed, what crimes they record) has changed markedly over the years. As has been discussed, there's also a bit of a vicious circle, in that the more ineffective police are perceived to be in 'solving' crimes, the more people see no point in reporting crimes. There is also a wide range of ways in which people can try to interpret (or misinterpret) the statistics (in terms of causality) ...
And what about violent crime? ...
I seem to recall that the last time that graph (or a very similar one) was wheeled out in this forum (I think it was this forum), it was being used to 'prove' that a reduction in violent crime has resulted from the phasing out of leaded petrol. Assuming that correlation implies a causative relationship is probably just about the most widely seen abuse/misuse of statistics.

Kind Regards, John

There is also a wide range of ways in which people can try to interpret (or misinterpret) the statistics (in terms of causality)
Assuming that correlation implies a causative relationship is probably just about the most widely seen abuse/misuse of statistics.
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back