Plex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just sharing some experience in case this is helpful..

Just added a NAS to a place I own - Synology DS423+ which I wanted to connect to various LG TVs, only to find that VLC player isn't available on the apps store for LG. There seems to be 100s of apps offering TV and media server/player capability. The standard DLNA media server on the TV is basically junk and wont read the audio on most MKV files.

So a bit of research, said install Plex media server on the synology and then the Plex app on the TV, manually add the IP addresses and wow, this is a really fantastic media server that not only fetches all the IMDB data, but presents it in an Amazon Prime like front end.

Sponsored Links
Used to use Plex but abandoned it after lots of problems when updates required .
Just use either airplay or stream from my Mac via Chromecast to all my tv’s.

Yeah I had it working on the Mac too, but the quality wasn't as good.

Sponsored Links
Plex is good. TV Plex apps vary a lot. My Panasonic OLED's Plex app is limited to 1080p! I have to use a Fire TV stick for UHD Plex viewing.

Note the Plex server may be transcoding the video and/or audio in some .mkv wrappers if the TV doesn't support decoding of the streams directly. You may not be aware it is doing so if the NAS processor has enough 'grunt'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back