pliolite masonary paint as stabiliser, questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi after loads of research I am heading towards getting Johnstones Pliolite masonry paint to paint the render on my house.

We have render on the front that has the paint flaking off every 2 to 3 years but has previously been painted with B&Q water based paints. On the side(its a semi so one side) we have new and old render, basically 2 halves as we had an attic extensionn done back in 2000 which extended the height of the side wall.

The wall at the front appears to have an old oil based paint or could it be an old pliolite paint, guessing a bit,... with the water based stuff flaking off here and there and touching the stuff underneath the water based paint seems to leave a white residue on the fingers.

So I am thinking Pliolite is my best option after brushing down the surfaces to a reasonably stable surface.

But Johnstons Pliolite masonry paint states use a stabilizer first on fryable surfaces but all over the net you can see that people suggest just thinning the pliolite with 15% spirit. I also notice that Johnstone appear to do a water based stabilizer and a solvent based stabilizer so my main question is will the Pliolite paint be fine thinned down 15% or should I get the stabilizer considering the conditions of my wall explained above?

My question is really because I am wondering how good a stabilizer the Pliolite thinned down will be compared to their proper stabilizer and I don't have the experience to know this but you guys may have already been there.

Any advice/help appreciated. My house is 1930's by the way.

Sponsored Links
I`d recommend the solvent based stabiliser : I used pliolite on the inside of an old lean to with 4 inch walls - nearly gassed myself :oops: but it holds well on properly prepared surface - you`ll be fine outside ( where it`s supposed to be used ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back