Plugs inside of Chimney opening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
I have taken an old fireplace and gas fire out and I am having a new fireplace fitted and am hoping to fit an electric fire. The new fireplace has spotlights fitted so I will be needing 2 sockets. My problem is that my chimney breast is very wide so from its edge to the actual fire it is around a meter. The gas pipe(15mm) is already hidden through the chimney breast so I was wandering once it has been disconnected can I run an extension lead through it into the chimney opening(behind the new fire) and connect the fireplace spotlights and new fire (2KW) to the extension lead or will I have to spur off of a socket and fit a double socket in there and can I run both from a spur seeing it is only 2 spotlights.
Thanks in anticipation.
Bas

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you are doing all this to make it look nice.

Don't ruin it by having a length of flexed plugged in somewhere and then disappearing into an old gas pipe in the wall.

When installed, will the fire be easy to remove? If not, the last thing you want is there to be a plug which you can't easily get to. Also it is good to have something accessible with which you can isolate the appliance if necessary.

Install an FCU somewhere accessible, and use that to supply a socket or a flex outlet plate for the fire and the lights.

Hi and thanks for your reply Ban.
Sorry but I didn't make myself very clear there. There is a spare socket wear the copper pipe enters the fireplace which I would like to use for this. I want to cut the plug off of the extension lead and thread it through from inside of the fireplace and then wire the plug back on. My concern is using it for a 2kw fire and spots from the fireplace together. I'm assuming an electric fire would be easily removed if there are any problems.
Thanks again

Sponsored Links
There is a spare socket wear the copper pipe enters the fireplace which I would like to use for this. I want to cut the plug off of the extension lead and thread it through from inside of the fireplace and then wire the plug back on.
Sounds like you are doing all this to make it look nice.

Don't ruin it by having a length of flexed plugged in somewhere and then disappearing into an old gas pipe in the wall.

I'm assuming an electric fire would be easily removed if there are any problems.
Well you know how big and heavy it is, how permanently it has to be fixed in place etc, so you are the only one here who doesn't need to make assumptions. Which is just as well, as they are a poor basis for doing designs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back