Plum Tree Pollination?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Three years ago I bought an apple tree and plum tree from a garden centre. Each year I have had blossom and fruit from the apple but nothing from the plum. The plum tree looks healthy and has filled out nicely to a height of 8 ft.

When I bought them I was particularly keen to buy self pollinators, so can't understand why its isn't bearing fruit. Unfortunately I have lost the tree labelling to identify the type.

Any thoughts why?
How can I pollinate it myself if this is the cause?

Sponsored Links
"How can I pollinate it myself if this is the cause?"

you will need to grow a pair of wings :LOL:

Thanks enyam for the link.

My first problem is that the tree does not grow any blooms/flowers which to pollinate. What is causing it not to bloom? Could it be still immature at only 3 years old? It appears healthy otherwise so is very frustrating to see only greenery each year!

Sponsored Links
Thanks enyam for the link.

My first problem is that the tree does not grow any blooms/flowers which to pollinate. What is causing it not to bloom? Could it be still immature at only 3 years old? It appears healthy otherwise so is very frustrating to see only greenery each year!

It could well be immature with no blossom showing,it sounds healthy. It might take another year.
View media item 45568

Another year has gone by and a couple of weeks ago my plum tree produced 3 blossoms on a just a couple of branches. Then the weather turned cold again and killed off the blossom. The tree just looks green and healthy whilst my apple continues to bloom in splendor.

Has the sudden cold killed off any chance for my first plums again this year? :(

Unfortunately, probably yes. The last two winters/springs have not been great for stone fruits and a young tree is more vulnerable. Presumably you're not pruning or over-feeding? Best you can do is make sure it's well-watered through the summer and hope for better weather next year. At least you've seen it blossom this year so it's getting there.

My plum tree is now 'blooming lovely'. Fingers crossed for some warm weather.

What is the best way to protect the fruit it against bugs? My apple tree grows fruit in abundance, but despite spraying the apples are always infested.

Yay for the plum tree! Hopefully we're now past frosts bad enough to kill off the blossom. On fruit trees, I use a glue or grease band on the trunk and a codling moth trap hung in the tree, renew both each year. Both easily available online or in garden centres.

do apply some sort of proactive measures because it never really got cold this winter it is a very abundant year for problematic beasties

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back