New Apple Tree.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just bought a sapling apple tree from ASDA called 'Apple Discovery' and I am looking for some advice on how best to grow it.

We have well drained soil and although the garden is north facing it gets plenty of sunshine over most of it during the day.

It states it is budded onto M26 rootstock which will make it fruit earlier but it also states it will need pollinating with one of the following varieties;
Braeburn, Elstar, Fiesta, Granny Smith, Gala, Golden Delicious, Idared, James Grieve and Spartan.

We have a Granny Smith growing in the garden behind us and as it overhangs into our garden we get a lot of blossom, (and indeed apples), falling into our side. How do we go about using this tree to pollinate ours, (bearing in mind we will probably site ours about 20 feet away in a large tub.

Sponsored Links
You don't need to do anything. The wonder of nature will do the pollination.

ETA but you can help it along by attracting bees and other pollinating insects into your garden with your planting.

Thanks Ceres.

We have planted a number of plants and flowers last spring and had quite a few honey and bumble bees visiting. I find it fascinating to watch them flying from bush to bush doing their work and they don't bother me in the least.

Here's hoping we have some lovely apples in about 2 years. :D

Sponsored Links
Apple trees fall into different pollinating groups. 'Discovery' is in group 3. Ideally they need other fruit trees nearby to assist with pollination. If you have an apple tree planted nearby that is from the same or neighboring group, then this will greatly assist.

Have a look at this link, scroll down to the 'apple pollination groups' link which will open a pdf document.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=331

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back