Apple tree removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an apple tree in my back garden which needs to go as it's in the way of where we are putting our new decking. We had a few other bushes which I dug out and moved to our front garden and have been fine and I was wondering how hard it would be to dig the apple tree up. It's about 7 or 8 feet high and probably about 4 feet wide. Also the trunk is about 2 feet away from the neighbours fence. Basically I don't want to have to chop it down and waste it as we are going to be buying some trees and things for the front garden anyway.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
easy with one of these

Principle is the same though - dig a trench a couple of foot from the trunk and 18" or so down and cut tap-roots. Then you need to prise the tree out while keeping as much of its rootball in place as possible. When you replant, loads and loads of water. Best not to do this in the height of summer though - september/october is favourable as it gives the tree time to recover before the frosts.

if its being decked over, will it not suffice to cut it down to ground level?

if not get someone in with a stump grinder. it wont cost much and will be done in no time

leave it build a table round it leave a few inches off space round the trunk for growth in the decking perfectarea off shade !!!

Sponsored Links
I have built decks around all sorts of things, and trees look great "sprouting" from them. Just remember to leave room around it for movement and growth.

The downside is that you get leaves and fruit falling onto the deck. Still, its your tree and you get to decide.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back