Plumbing lecturer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone worked as one, or done it part time to see if it was a good fit for them?

Sponsored Links
I worked as a lecturer in electronics and computing but knew several plumbing and electrical lecturers. They all had a side hustle of working on trade jobs in evening, weekends and holidays. Lecturers have a lot of paperwork and assessments and nobody liked this side of the job. Colleges also have instructors who literally do practical demos etc but they don’t get involved in theory lessons. In theory lessons you would be explaining about the properties of copper and basic science of thermal expansion etc, etc. There is obviously the Law and regulations side etc.
To lecture, you will need a teaching qualification but you will be able to do this alongside your teaching. I enjoyed teaching but I am an academic person. Teaching trades is not so academic but it does have its own set of challenges to cope with. The job is harder now than it used to be with longer teaching hours but it’s still a worthwhile profession particularly if you naturally enjoy explaining things and working with young people. The holidays compensate for the moderate salary and there’s a decent pension too.
Good luck.

Sponsored Links
I remember 35 hour week, 28 hours teaching, 7 hours prep.

28 hours seems very high for a lecturer, when I left 18 months ago it was 24.
When I started it was 17 hours teaching per week, and we still moaned !

28 hours seems very high for a lecturer, when I left 18 months ago it was 24.
When I started it was 17 hours teaching per week, and we still moaned !
How long did you do it for?

I was wondering how the pensions work. It's a teachers pension? But FE colleges are private sector?

What were both your opinions on it please?
Didn't come to much for me, started off part time which wasn't a substitute for what I was earning self employed. Maybe if I'd stuck at it and been offered something full time it would have worked out, but I was earning next to nothing part time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back