plywood on tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've just had a partition wall between my existing kitchen and dining room knocked down, and want to level/tile the whole area...
One half of it is ceramic tile, the other is wood floor boards. I plan to put 1/2 ply to make the level the same, then put some more 1/2 inch ply over the lot.
Anyone know how I'd fix the plywood to the ceramic tiles, and would it be safe to do so?
Under the tiles is a cement base..

may thanks

John

Sponsored Links
John,
I'm assuming you're overboarding both floors to try and alleviate the expansion issue between the disimilar floors? For what it's worth I think you're wise to do so.
OK, now I've never had to do this so if anyone (Jason, Moz etc) want to jump in feel free. The way I see it is that you screw the WBP ply down on the floorboards as usual (read the sticky at the top of this forum). Then on the tiled floor, you could use flexible powdered tile adhesive to stick down the WBP ply.
Now you need to fix the final WBP ply sheets over the top. For the floorboard side, you just screw through both pieces of ply and into the floorboards below. On the tiled side, it's a bit different cause you can't screw any deeper than first sheet of ply. :confused: So although you can (and I suggest you do) use small short screws maybe 20mm long you'd also be as well gluing the sheet down to the one below it. Trouble is, that's a hell of a lot of glue - maybe something like this would do http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A236067&ts=89078&id=72054
You want to be staggering the top sheets so that you don't get 4 corners meeting together - lay them in a brick pattern.
Then you tile over the top with BAL single part flexible adhesive.
How does that grab ya?

oh I'm going to have some fun doing this!
I'll get the tools together and give it a go next weekend.

cheers

John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back