Pointing, colour of mortar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I want more of a grey finish than brown/yellow with the pointing , how do I achieve this ?? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you want to re-colour existing mortar on a wall? or? are you about to use mortar which you want to colour?

Ken.

Pointing is often done 3:1 anyway which is more grey. If you want to go even greyer, use a less orange/red sand. Our local plastering sand dries paler than our building sand.

Also rugby cement is apparently darker.

I'm doing the same job on my patio and have made up some test mixes. Small amount of black dye and plastering sand has come out a nice grey for me.

Sponsored Links
Much as Celeronmanu above..

Look for the lightest colour sand in you area.

White Cement sometimes assists.

Builders merchants sell pigments for colouring mortar, watch this one, each "Batch" of coloured mortar needs to be as near similar as possible.

Several test batches? but? write down what mix proportions were used !!! on each batch

Ken.

Blooming “ Mastercrete” turns our local yellow sand into a lovely grey mortar

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back