Pointing the Patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My patio job is almost complete and I just need to point the slabs. Advice so far is to use cement/silver sand 1:1 dry mix and brush in where the gaps are less than 1/2" and where gaps are greater, to use cement/builders sand 1:3 and again brush in.

The above is on the basis that it will set from the moisture in the ground but I mixed a bit of cement & sand and tried this on a small area and it's still crumbly. Am now thinking I should water the patio first, let the slabs dry and then point while there is still moisture in the gaps.

Is this likely to work?

Sponsored Links
Mix up some mortar - 3 parts building sand to 1 part cement. Mix it like bricklaying mortar (I don't like dry or even just damp mix) and point with that - it'll last for an age and it'll be rock hard. You can power wash it as much as you like and it'll be fine. Try not to get it all over the face of the flags though or it'll stain - take your time. ;)

gcol said:
Mix up some mortar - 3 parts building sand to 1 part cement. Mix it like bricklaying mortar (I don't like dry or even just damp mix) and point with that - it'll last for an age and it'll be rock hard. You can power wash it as much as you like and it'll be fine. Try not to get it all over the face of the flags though or it'll stain - take your time. ;)

Not possible! I have a huge area of patio and my damaged knees won't allow me to get down to ground level! The work I've done so far in relaying the slabs has caused possibly long lasting problems, so it's got to be a brush-in job or nothing!

BTW - I'm a semi-retired, female.........not that that should make any difference (but it has to some!).

Only brush in type products are really expensive. some i have seen are £35 for a tin that'll cover 8sq mtrs.
Geo-Fix is one that comes to mind.
I would go for the 3-1 mix as it wll be stronger and last longer. As for getting on your knees, do you have any wiling grandkids ????

Sponsored Links
skybluescooby said:
Only brush in type products are really expensive. some i have seen are £35 for a tin that'll cover 8sq mtrs.
Geo-Fix is one that comes to mind.
I would go for the 3-1 mix as it wll be stronger and last longer. As for getting on your knees, do you have any wiling grandkids ????

Thanks for replying. I'm really looking to use up the materials I have left - builders & sharp sand and cement. No willing kids; grandkids or hubby. I hired a student for a few days but he was unreliable and inexperienced.

the method you describe - wetting the joints and brushing in a dry mix - would be fine but only if you get down there and "strike" the pointing with say, a peice of hose pipe or, better still, a pointing tool. Believe me, a dry mix WILL and I mean WILL crumble quickly. Can you not get a nice comfy cushion and sit on the paving as you point it? Do a few joins, take a break, do a few more,.....

linlin said:
I'm really looking to use up the materials I have left - builders & sharp sand and cement.
In your first post you mentioned silver sand - forget that for a start. You can use sharp sand for pointing but it'll make for a firmer mortar and will be harder work. If you really can't point it yourself, then you need to hire someone for a day ot two to do it for you. If you're determined to brush the stuff in then here's how you do it......
1. Wet the whole patio
2. Wait for the water on the face of the flags to evaporate
3. Brush in your dry mix
4. Spray a mist of water over the whole patio being careful not to wash any of the mix out of the joints (there should be no mix on top of the flags at this point)
5. Don't walk on it for a few days

This isn't really the best way of pointing flags and I wouldn't expect it to last or get a grip of the flags. You should seriusly consider getting someone in to do it and having the job done right - shouldn't cost you that much, just look in your local free paper for a handyman.

Thanks for your replies - I really appreciate it. I'll mull it over and let you know how I get on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back