Polycell finishing skim - please help!

T

Treew

Hi all,

Had a large crack going up my wall and have finished it with Polycell finishing skim. Have left the filler to dry for a week and then emulsioned over the top. Problem is it seems to make the filler swell and the crack is now visable again. Someone recommended watering the paint down which I did.

Have had to sand and try again but it keeps happening!! Please can someone give me some advice?!

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

Had a large crack going up my wall and have finished it with Polycell finishing skim. Have left the filler to dry for a week and then emulsioned over the top. Problem is it seems to make the filler swell and the crack is now visable again. Someone recommended watering the paint down which I did.

Have had to sand and try again but it keeps happening!!
Please can someone give me some advice?!

It's a bit late for advice now, the deed is done!!
These Polyfilla products always look good on the tub, and are made to look easy to use, but in reality, unless you know what you're doing, they're not.
Any large crack in any wall needs a lot of prep before you go anywhere near it with "plaster", let alone this stuff.
For the future, get a plasterer in to look at the job. A large crack/s needs to be tied in with wire lath, or stitched, or even more drastic action. The plaster must be removed first either side of the crack, it must then be pointed in with cement, and then you'd use the lath or stitch kit. The area/wall is then ready to be re-plastered. You cant just fill it up with expensive Polycell stuff that comes in a tub, and expect a permanent job.
I hope you get it sorted out though. ;)

as RC said get a plasterer round to have a look an ask him to properly stitch or lath it before re plastering if he tries to just skrim tape it and skim it it proberly will come back again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back