Polyfilla for asbestos flue casing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Just had a new boiler installed.

The old flue had to come out, which was an asbestos/cement mix. The casing itself in also an asbestos mix. The installer said that he's licensed to take away the old flue, but cannot take away the casing.

However, in order to determine whether the casing was asbestos, he had to remove a relatively small section of it. This gap was also used to remove the flue.

He told me that as long as the casing isn't disrupted, its is safe. However, he himself has left it in a disrupted state. I asked him about it, he said just put some builders caulk on it.

As you can see in the photos, he placed wood board over the gap. What I'm thinking of doing to make it safe until I get a plasterer over, is to put polyfill over the cracks. I might also take off the board, and put polyfilla over all the damage that has been done, as I'm keen to not have asbestos floating around my house.

Any advice appreciated, cheers.

Pic 1.jpg
Pic 2.jpg
Pic 3.jpg

Sponsored Links
Not sure you should plaster over, no one will know it is in there when the drill into sometime in the future. I would seal bare areas with a couple of coats of emulsion paint, water down the first coat.
Why not leave the wood in place rather than disturb it further.
Decant the paint you need into a container, and use a disposable brush, to avoid contaminating the next thing you paint.
I would use caulk or paintable mastic, that way you can tell it from the asbestos otherwise the pollyfilla will look like asbestos and you won't be able to tell which is which if you work on it later.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back